With a General Election imminent in the United Kingdom, and the economy very much at the top of the political agenda, this tongue-in-cheek solution was seen on social media …
An open letter to our political leaders. Here are some practical solutions to fixing the UK’s economy!
Instead of giving billions of pounds sterling to banks that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following solution which we will call the Patriotic Retirement Plan. Currently there are some 10 million people over the age of 50 in employment. Pay each of them £1 million in severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:
- They must retire. This will create 10 million job openings therefore solving the unemployment crisis
- They must buy a new British-made car. That’s 10 million cars ordered and thereby fixing the decimated car industry
- They must either buy a house or pay off their mortgage. This resolves the current housing crisis
- They must send their kids to school, college or university. This will keep them off the streets and drastically reduce the crime rate
- They must spend a minimum of £100 a week on alcohol or tobacco products. There’s your money returned in duty and tax
It really can’t get much easier than that! However if more money is needed, get all members of Parliament to repay their falsely claimed expenses and second home allowances.
Now for some more radical solutions:
- Put pensioners in jail and criminals in nursing homes. This way, pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks
- They’d benefit from unlimited free pres rioting, dental and medical treatment, wheelchairs etc, and receive money instead of having to pay it out
- With constant video monitoring, they would get instant help if they fell or needed assistance
- Bedding would be laundered at least twice a week and all clothing ironed and returned to them
- A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals directly to them
- They would enjoy family visits in a purpose-built suite
- They would have access to a library, gymnasium, pool, education and spiritual counselling
- Simple clothing, shoes, bed attire, slippers and legal aid would be free on request
- Private, secure rooms for everyone with an exercise outdoor yard and landscaped gardens
- Each senior could have a television, radio and computer, as well as daily telephone calls
A board of directors would oversee matters and handle any complaints, whilst the guards would have to adhere to a very strict code of conduct. Meanwhile, the criminals would have to exist on cold food, live in isolation in a tiny room and unsupervised. They would have a weekly shower and pay £600 per week for their accommodation with little chance of ever enjoying freedom.
Now for another point of contention. It seems amazing that during the mad cow disease epidemic, government officials could track a single cow from its birth and subsequently identify its calves yet are incapable of tracking 125000 illegal immigrants wandering around the country. Maybe they should each be given a cow!
A Grumpy Old Man